Saturday, May 7, 2011

My Latest Poem: Orion

I've never posted a poem of mine on my actual blog before. I have a few under the Poetry Portfolio Tab, but even that was a reluctant decision on my part. Poetry is so very personal that I've always felt it deserved to be read aloud, usually to one person at a time...not just viewed on a screen.
However, I am now officially enrolled in San Diego State University's Creative Writing program. For the next 3 years, I'll be working on my Master's degree in poetry itself, so I've decided I need to start putting my work out there!

My latest poem is titled "Orion". Several different threads in my life led to writing this poem...In March, I attended a film event at the California Space Center titled "Startling Beauty", a film that chronicled the beauty of the discoveries of the Hubble Telescope. What made this event special was not just the film however...Dr. Massimo Robberto, one of the leading astro-physicists in the world, spoke to our group of 400 about the film, about our universe, and about our place in it. One of the images that stayed with me most closely after seeing this film was that of the Orion Nebula, an immense cloud of pink and purple dust, where winds blow stars into being.


Growing up, Orion was always the easiest constellation for me to recognize. Find his belt, and suddenly there he was, my own warrior in the sky...

Orion

Like a young woman,
too loud and too beautiful,
I watched you rise, and fall
in frustration, in admiration.
I dreamt of you, watched you,
tasted you, like the slippery
innards of a sharp, pungent
dandelion,
licked your light
like moonshine liquor.

Once, I found experience
on the sidewalk.
With you, under your gaze,
I dipped it in meaning, like an ice
cream cone in chocolate:
dripping, melting to nothing,
the residue left sticky on my
fingers.

I left you.
Like a rebel child,
I sought the other,
denied your wisdom.
But you slipped back to me:
silently, deftly.
In secrets and notes
played slowly on the piano,
I heard again of your beauty.

I came back a captive
to your bright stars,
to your bright belt,
wound round my waist.

No comments:

Post a Comment