Thursday, June 7, 2012

An Ode to the Elephant: My Own Poem

Just for fun...


This is an Ode to the Elephant
It’s not that I did a stint
in India 
or Africa 
that these
gray monstrosities
capture my attention,
my affection,
despite their forgetful 
representation.
No, you see,
it’s their majesty, 
that makes me reply,
to that dull guy,
asking “What animal would you be?”
“A dolphin,” 
says the girl from 
the sorority,
“A jaguar,” 
says the boy from
behind the bar,
“An ELEPHANT!” I cry, 
wide and far.
“Because they’ve got big ears for listening, 
big noses for smelling, 
big eyes for seeing, 
big feet for stomping.
they’re not afraid of being big and fat,
they’re alright with that. 
That means they’ve got more life, 
they’ve got more sense,
they never regret emails just after they’re sent.
They don’t sit it out on the bench, 
No, they’re grand but sweet too, 
fit to carry royalty,
they live in jungles,
I’d like a small one for a pet, 
but that’s silly,
who’d want to clean up after it wet
the floor?
but I like them anyway, 
they’re a cute set,
they’re funny and sweet and dangerous to boot, 
and always trumpeting when it all comes to,
they’re kind of like me
or how I wish to be,
so that’s why I reply
to that dull guy,
asking, “What animal would you be?”
AN ELEPHANT, I cry!





No comments:

Post a Comment